Memorial Park was established in 1924 to commemorate Canadian soldiers killed in World War 1. An oak seedling from the Royal Forests in England was planted here in 1937 as one of several "Coronation Oaks" in the region. It is still thriving today. On either side of the cenotaph are two WWI trophy field guns.
In 1995, the .9 hectare park was designated a Heritage Site. Its heritage is noted in the original trees, the cenotaph and guns, and the rock and mortar gate posts along Esquimalt Road.
Remembrance Day ceremonies are held at the cenotaph each year.
Heritage and horticulture live side by side here. Several fine Horse Chestnut and pollarded London Plane trees give the park its distinct character. Shrubs and annual beds surround the front lawn area, and two rose beds flank the 'Legion Way' walk to the cenotaph.
There are several benches and picnic tables in both sun and shade, and a small children's playground.
The park is found on Esquimalt Road across from the Municipal Hall.
source: Township of Esquimalt